Monday, April 2, 2012

Shock Top Wheat IPA

The Beer Stats:
  • Beer Name: Wheat IPA
  • Brewery: Shock Top
  • Style: IPA
  • ABV: 5.8%
  • IBU:
  • Pour Color: See through golden color




      Me and the Face really ain't Shock Top fans for the most part. As a hop lover I had to try the Shock Top IPA. The head was actually quite fluffy for a minute. As the beer was lifted to me I started to believe this was a IPA. It had a hop aroma to it. Then on the sip I realized why it's a wheat IPA. The wheat flavor is strong in this one. A normal shock top will try to complement the fruit flavors, with  the malts, this one didn't. I will say that this is one of the few Wheat beers I would order in a restaurant. Nice and crisp in the mouth it's really not what I expected.
      Honestly this one I think is closer to most micro brewed pales instead of Indian pale ale. Seems like shock top wanted to cut into the IPA market in name only! The wheat IPA though, with that smoothness, would be a good beer for summer. Still not going to be popular with everyone cause it's bitterer then most "normal" beers, and it's not really up to par with micro brewed IPAs. At 6.99 a growler fill at Face's spot, you really can't complain. Ahhh the luxury of not really being microbrewed. 

Note: If you can't find this one on tap then I would skip it. It really lacks any kind of hop flavor to it at all in the bottle. I was amazed at how boring a beer this was once bottled.
  

Rating: ***




No comments:

Post a Comment