Thursday, August 2, 2012

Grumpy Monk

The Beer Stats:
  • Beer Name: Grumpy Monk
  • Brewery: Samuel Adams Brewing Company (Massachusetts)
  • Style: Belgian IPA
  • ABV:5.7%
  • IBU:55
  • Pour Color: Clear golden color to this one. Light travels through easy




      So the Face got one of the hopology samplers Sam Adams put out. As a hop loving freak you know I was excited. Drowning in piles of hops don't scare me! So the Belgian style was the first I pulled out. The head was fluffy and the color was a golden.  It had a very mellow flavor of the orange peel and clove that you would expect. Really mellow though. The hops also had a slight citrus and pine but also was extremely mellow. This one really didn't strike me as special. This would be a good introduction to Belgian IPA but that's really all.
      This one struck me as neither great Belgian or great IPA and even these two styles mixed this wasn't the best. I've had Belgian IPAs that have blown me away. With this one they didn't go hard enough Belgian so it seems kind of watered down. The hops weren't really that pronounced either. It's a good IPA to get people into it that don't like them.  It really seems IPA, in name only, cause the hops really are on the light side!

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment