Thursday, August 2, 2012

Dark Depths

The Beer Stats:
  • Beer Name: Dark Depths
  • Brewery: Sam Adams Brewing Company (Massachusetts)
  • Style: Black IPA (Baltic IPA)
  • ABV: 7.6%
  • IBU: 55
  • Pour Color: A clear red color when held up to the light!




      The pour came out much lighter then most dark IPAs. A head came up quick and sat at the top for awhile. It was easily two fingers high. Smelling the top of this one you get a sweet roasted caramel and almost a grapefruit hop scent. On the sip you get a mix of coffee and caramel malts. The hops come through slightly while in mouth but disappear quickly once swallowed. This is really a dark beer before a IPA and really only hits a pale ale bitterness to me.
      This one to me really seemed to mislead the drinker. If I was trying to get one of my Guinness drinking buddies into a hoppy beer I would go with this one. Much more a dark beer then a IPA really. The hops just are in a sea of malt flavor and aren't enough to get a avid IPA drinker excited. This one I would swim in again but it's not the first one I'm reaching for!

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment